How to Keep Bugs Out of Your House?
Some people (like us) think pest control is fun but, we realize most people have better things to do. Therefore, pest-proofing your house is a good first line of defense to prevent an infestation.
Adding a few quick and easy tasks to your weekend to-do list can go a long way towards keeping pests out of your home. These suggestions relate to pests that you are likely to see during the warm and hot months of the year.
To learn how to keep pests out of your house when it gets colder outside, read our post on how to keep mice out of your home.
We recommend the following steps to help keep your house pest-free:
- Seal cracks and holes along the foundation of your home (including entry points for utilities and pipes). Often, all that is needed is some caulking or mortar to do the job.
- Sealing off these openings is a good way to keep a variety of insects (especially ants) out of your house. Even larger sized ants, such as carpenter ants, can squeeze through tiny openings. You want to think like a detective and look closely for any openings. If you see a gap or crack that looks too small for an insect to crawl through, seal if off anyway – just to make sure.
- Repair or replace damaged window and door screens. Unfortunately, insects don’t just crawl around – they also climb and fly – and somehow they are able to find even a small opening in a screen or a gap in a window frame. Look for any access points in the upstairs windows as well.
- Eliminate sources of moisture and food. What we think of as a small crumb or a few drops of water can be a feast for an ant colony. Even better (for the ants) is some spilled soda or juice box – they love sugars.
- Keeping food sources away from insects is also important for cockroaches and house flies. Both of these dirty insects will feed on any organic food source but prefer meat and sugary foods/drinks (and some other gross things we won’t mention here!).
- While mosquitoes are very annoying insects, they can also spread some diseases that cause serious problems.
- The #1 way to reduce mosquito populations is to eliminate standing water on your property. Mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water and the eggs can hatch in as little as a week. Think of places you may not see every day – like your rain gutters. Rain gutters can be clogged and out of sight but, they still make a great breeding-ground for mosquitoes. Here are some more tips on getting rid of mosquitoes on your property.
- Keep tree branches and other plants trimmed back from your house. Many types of ants can be found on trees. If the tree branches hang over the roof, the ants can easily be blown off of the tree and onto the roof. Once this happens, the ants have access to the upper levels of your home. This is especially a problem with carpenter ants because they can do a lot of damage to a house.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet from your house – on a raised structure such as concrete blocks or poles. You are going to have bugs in your wood pile – the further away from your house, and the drier you can keep the wood, the better. If for no other reason, do this to help reduce the chance of getting termites in your home.
- Inspect the outside of your home for nests built by stinging insects, which are typically found in the eaves under roofs.
- Keep kitchens clean by wiping down counters and other food surfaces after meal prep.
- Take out the trash frequently and store it in a sealed receptacle outdoors.
- Avoid leaving pet food dishes out for long periods of time.
If you suspect you have an infestation, contact a licensed pest professional to identify the species and recommend a course of treatment.
Green Giant Home & Commercial’s Lawn Care services control weeds, build the thickness and density of your lawn and protect it from being damaged by insects and disease, providing you with a great-looking, healthy lawn. We offer fertilization, weed control, liming, insect control, and aeration and overseeding. Visit our Lawn Care page for more information.
Green Giant performs: Proper Diagnosis and Treatment of Tree & Shrub Problems, Insect & Disease Control (including Spotted Lanternfly), and Nutrient Management via Deep Root Fertilization to keep your plants healthy and thriving. Visit our Tree Care page for more information.
Green Giant’s Non-Lawn Weed Control services eliminate unwanted vegetation in a wide variety of locations for both residential and large commercial/municipal properties such as: Weed Control in Planting Beds (yes, no more pulling weeds!), around obstacles to reduce weed eating, along fence lines, stone/gravel driveways & parking lots, swales and roadside/curbside vegetation management. Find more information, visit our Vegetation Management page.
Our full service pest control division provides both Year-Round Service Programs that cover the vast majority of pests that you will encounter and also One-Time Corrective Services for pests such as bees, ants, termites or mice. For more information, visit our Pest Control page.