Spring Pest-Proofing is Key to Preventing an Infestation
Fleetwood, PA (March 20, 2014) – Spring is finally here, which means many homeowners will partake in spring cleaning projects over the next few weeks. During this time, Green Giant encourages homeowners to also consider pest-proofing in and around the home.
“Spring is the season when people begin to notice an increase in pests populations like ants, termites, flies and stinging insects,” said Josh Moser, Sales Manager at Green Giant. “The best way to minimize the chance of an infestation is prevention. Adding a few quick and easy tasks to the spring cleaning to-do list can go a long way in keeping pests out of the home.”
Experts at the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) recommend the following steps to avoid an infestation this spring and summer:
- Seal cracks and holes along the foundation of the home including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Repair or replace damaged window and door screens.
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water around the house, including birdbaths and in clogged gutters.
- Keep tree branches and other plants cut back from the house.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet from the home on a raised structure such as concrete blocks or poles.
- Inspect the outside of a home for nests built by stinging insects, which are typically found in the eaves under roofs.
- Keep kitchens clean by wiping down counters and other food surfaces after meal prep.
- Take out the trash frequently and store it in a sealed receptacle outdoors.
- Avoid leaving pet food dishes out for long periods of time.
If you suspect you have an infestation, contact a licensed pest professional to identify the species and recommend a course of treatment.