Best Bed Bug Prevention Tips
Bed bugs are often associated with sanitation issues, but the truth is that these pests are found in many different environments. They are excellent “hitchhikers” and possess uncanny characteristics that make them extremely difficult to control. Vigilance is the key to avoiding an infestation, even when on vacation. As we count down the days to summer, we’re going to cover some tips to help prevent an infestation when traveling!
Ensure Bed Bugs Don’t Travel With You
At hotels, thoroughly inspect the entire room before unpacking. This includes:
- Checking behind the headboard
- Checking in the furniture
- Pull back the bed sheets and check the mattress seams for pepper-like stains that may be evidence of bed bug activity
If you suspect an infestation or problem, notify management and change rooms immediately. Be sure the new room is not adjacent to or directly below or above the possibly infested room.
Keep suitcases in plastic trash bags or protective covers during a hotel stay to prevent bed bugs from nesting there.
Do not put suitcases on the beds.
Upon returning home from a trip:
- Inspect all suitcases and other belongings before bringing them into the house
- Wash all clothes – even those that have not been worn – in hot water and dry them using an extra-hot dryer setting
- Avoid putting bags and purses on the floor of dressing rooms, public transit, movie theaters, etc.
The Importance of Bed Bug Monitoring and Bed Bug Protection Plans
With a Bed Bug Monitoring Program, small devices designed to detect bed bugs at an early stage are installed (hopefully while the infestation is still small and more manageable). This is an early detection program, not a control program.
A Bed Bug Protection Plan, on the other hand, monitors for bed bugs and, when bed bugs are found, Green Giant will treat the infestation at no additional cost. Due to bed bugs’ habit of settling almost everywhere and their increasing prevalence, a program designed for early protection and swift control is essential to keeping you and yours safe this summer.